How to evaluate BIM capability of a BIM outsourcing partner
The demand for BIM outsourcing services is more and more increasing. This has led to the new entry of various BIM service providers. So it’s necessary to evaluate BIM partners in the pre-qualification and selection phase. Several criteria have been proposed for the BIM capability assessment of an organization. In the last article, we shared with you 7 points to consider when selecting a BIM outsourcing partner.
As mentioned in that article, understanding the BIM partner’s experience is extremely important. So the purpose of this article is to help you understand how you should evaluate the capability of BIM provider you plan to select. What can BIM capability assessment you use? Let’s discover it in detail.
1. General content of BIM capability assessment
Normally, the pre-qualification questionnaire can include a series of topics such as company details, policies, accreditations, quality, BIM, etc. However, this post will focus on helping you understand more the BIM capability assessment. Regarding BIM assessments, the main reference is from CPIc – the Construction Project Information Committee. They provide the best practice in the construction industry throughout the UK.
In order to evaluate the BIM capability of an outsourcing partner, you might request your BIM partner to complete a BIM capability assessment based on CPIx BIM Assessment Form.
2. Key BIM assessment questions
The CPIx BIM Assessment Form includes 4 main sections as below:
- Gateway Questions: Including several questions related to BIM compliance;
- Areas of BIM: This section helps you get to know their BIM partner’s main expertise;
- BIM Project Experience: You will have an opportunity to dig deeper into BIM projects what they’ve executed for the client;
- BIM Capability Questionnaire: This section will help you identify training, coaching, and support required to BIM partners you plan to select.
The content of the BIM Competency Questionnaire depends on the requirements of each project. However, it usually includes some basic content such as:
- Do they have a BIM standard? How many projects have they executed? What was the scope of the project? What types of BIM services have they provided?
- What is the technology solution they’re using for each discipline?
- How many people are there in their company? How skilled are they?
In addition to BIM Execution Plan, the Construction Project Information Committee (CPIc) also provides you with three templates to evaluate BIM capability.
- BIM Assessment Form – CPIC Website
- Supplier IT Assessment Form – CPIC Website
- Resource Assessment Form – CPIC Website
Later, you can use a chart of National Institute Building Sciences, fill in the criteria, and will have a chart of BIM capability assessment.
3. In conclusion
The implementation of BIM capability assessment can help you understand more about the experience of your prospect BIM partner. Also, you should feel free to ask any question you’re wondering about their experience and capability. You may also feel confident to believe that you will find out a trusted and reliable partner such as ViBIM. By doing this you can leverage the partner’s expertise to deliver BIM for you. Get in touch with us today to find out more.